Authorities indicted Kwame Kilpatrick on 19 Federal charges Wednesday, 23 Jun 2010. Charges against Detroit’s former mayor include 10 counts of mail fraud, 5 counts of falsifying tax return, 3 counts of wire fraud, and 1 count of tax evasion. If convicted, Kilpatrick faces up to 20 years in prison and fines of $250,000.
Charges layed by a Federal grand jury stem from investigations into misuse of funds from Kilpatrick’s non-profit Civic Fund. The improper spending involves a variety of personal expenses:
- Yoga lessons for Kilpatrick
- Golf expenses, including lessons, a set of clubs, and golf bag
- Summer camp for Kilpatrick’s kids
- College tuition for relatives
- A birthday party
- A video documenting Kilpatrick’s family history
- A spokesman to manage Kilpatrick’s public image after the text messaging scandal
- Personal moving expenses when Kilpatrick moved out of the mayoral mansion and lease of his new personal residence
- Personal travel costs and private jet flights
- Car rental and leases
- Counter-surveillance and anti-bugging equipment
Kilpatrick is already serving 18-60 months in a northern Michigan prison for violating his probation on his perjury conviction. What’s funny is Kilpatrick spokesman Mike Paul pointed out there were no bribery charges. Is that supposed to be a sigh of relief? As in “heck, it’s just fraud charges”? Kilpatrick and Paul probably better not hold their breath. The FBI is still looking into Kilpatrick running a criminal organization. Don’t be surprised if more charges get filed.
Here’s the next big question: will Kwame’s mommy’s political career suffer? As far as I can see, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick has done little to nothing for her constituents. Never mind Rep. Kilpatrick (D) narrowly escaped House ethics charges. She also changed her vote from no to yes for the Wall Street bailout after the Senate added another 100 billion to the package. How many of her Detroit constituents benefited, do you think?
Previously on Kwame Kilpatrick:
- Who’s Worse, Conyers or Kilpatrick?
- Kilpatric Jobs Program About to Pay Off
- Kwamegate: Loans, Unknowns, and More Bribes
- Kwamegate Charges Still Surfacing
- Kilpatrick Still Dissing Detroit
- “D” is for Dumb, er, Detroit